zyzyly (zyzyly) wrote,

July 4, 2019--Independence Day

I'm up early enjoying a beautiful morning. There is a nice breeze coming in through the open windows, and I can hear the birds chirping. There is the drone of a small plane is flying overhead. I can smell the roses that are blooming outside the window. All in all, a lovely morning.

Tuesday night was the new moon, and I decided to drive up into the Sierras to see about taking some star pictures. I waited until Malida got back from her doctor's appointment--she has had a sore throat for the past few weeks, with intermittent fevers, and it hasn't gone away. The doctor ordered an ultrasound.

I headed up Highway 88 with the idea of checking out Caples Lake as a place to shoot, and maybe go up to the Monitor Pass. I left in time to get up there before dark so I could scope things out. I got up there about an hour before sunset. I was disappointed to see that it was somewhat cloudy, which is not good for star photography, but decided to wait and see.

I drove down to Woods lake to check it out. There was still a bit of snow on the road, but it was easily passable. The creek was full, and I took a couple of pictures while I waited for the sun to go down.

I looked up and saw that the sky was turning red, and thought I should get out of there and see what the sunset looked like. I got back on the highway and saw that there were a lot of red clouds just over the Carson Pass to the east so I drove over that way.

This is what I saw as I came over the pass and looked down toward the Carson Valley:

red lake

It was spectacular. The lake is called Red Lake, and now I know why. This only lasted for about 5 minutes--just enough time to get a couple of shots, before everything faded out. I headed down into the valley to see if it was cloudy further on, and it was, so I headed back toward home.

On the way back, I noticed that that it was clearing in the southeast, so I stopped at Silver Lake. I could see the Milky Way rising over the horizon across the lake, and Jupiter bright in the sky. I stuck around and got out my camera stuff.

Milky Way

I wasn't disappointed. I stayed up there until my fingers started getting cold, about 11 pm. I got back home at about 1:30 am, not nearly as tired as I thought I would be. Photography sometimes invigorates me.

Malida called me from work yesterday afternoon to tell me that the doctor called about her ultrasound results. There is a large nodule on her thyroid gland that is suspicious for malignancy. They are scheduling a biopsy for next week. We will have to wait and see, but I have the feeling that our lives are about to change.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.